Monday, January 3, 2011

Candles on the Christmas Tree

I don't know when the first time was that I saw a picture of a candlelit Christmas tree. Perhaps it was in an old Christmas book, maybe in the years I lived in Boston, maybe in a Tasha Tudor Christmas card.

But I have always wanted a candle lit tree. One year I found candle clips that looked like pine cones but in metal that could hold one single real candle. They looked good but I had read too many stories about Christmas trees catching on fire so I never really lit them.
In November of 2009 when I was in the UK, my daughter took me on a wonderful trip to the Isle of Wight. We went to Osborne House the home of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert off the coast of southern England.





There I saw what I didn't know existed...electric candles all over the Christmas tree. So I asked the curator where to purchase some and we spent the afternoon on a wild goose chase all over the town of Cowes on the Isle of Wight in pursuit , but ended up with nothing.
BUT... the great news is.... I HAVE FOUND THEM!!! Of course they didn't come in until after Christmas... but there is always next year. Well, we keep our tree up until January 6th when the 12 days of Christmas end so I will show you what they look like on our tree.











They clip on and are just like the ones we saw in the UK.
If you are interested they are posted on my website if you click on Christmas banner. I am thinking of a way to use them all year long... I do think they would look wonderful tucked into a garland on a fireplace mantel.

1 comment:

  1. Very pretty. I think they are best with the plug and not with a real fire. :)
    Wasn't Tasha Tudor just a treasure.
    ♥ Joy

    ReplyDelete

Be Kind Be Sweet Be Nice to Everyone You Meet

Be Kind Be Sweet Be Nice to Everyone You Meet
a book on kindness

My Etsy

S is for Shepherd

S is for Shepherd
ABC book with scripture is in its second printing

Pages

my online shops